First of all, I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas :), I always find Christmas a great time to catch up with family! How did you guys spend it?
I spent my boxing day (Christmas in America) up at 4am watching all the NBA matches for opening day (woohoo NBA is BACK!!). Did you know what League Pass International is having a free preview till the 8th of January? Check it out! http://ilp.nba.com/.
Loved what I saw too, maybe I’m just excited that it’s all back now anyway.
So having said that, going to throw down some very, very early (perhaps pre-mature) predictions for the seasion.
Haha just found an awesome ad:
Alright so here we go, high-level predictions for which teams I think will make the play-offs (no particular order, I’ll italic ones I’m not too sure about):
- LA Lakers (hard to see play-offs without them, might be low seed but)
- LA Clippers (hopping on the bandwagon, maybe 1st / 2nd round at best)
- Portland Trailblazers (despite losing Brandon Roy to retirement because of his health & still having no Greg Oden.. their roster is really looking like they have a lot of depth!)
- Denver Nuggets (I was a bit worried about Denver because of having 3 of their main players stuck in China due to contracts, but they’ve convinced me otherwise so far)
- Oklahoma City Thunder (no doubters here surely, I reckon they could take it to AT LEAST the Western Conference Finals)
- Golden State Warriors (might need Stephen Curry to stay healthy, but they’re looking very strong especially with a new coach)
- Sacramento Kings (if the team stays consistent they can be deadly – hopefully Cousins has matured up a bit too)
- San Antonio Spurs (hmm.. if age was no factor they wouldn’t be italic’d but I reckon they could still get there, hopefully Manu Ginobili won’t destroy his shooting arm again, plus they gotta be wanting more since getting knocked out by Memphis)
- Wildcard – Memphis Grizzlies (I’ll admit I don’t follow them too closely but they really came out of no-where to me in the play-offs last year WITHOUT Rudy Gay)
- Chicago Bulls (bit of bias here :), but surely you can’t deny!)
- Miami Heat (they will be very hungry for it, if Erik Spolstra wants to have a coaching job next season he’ll need to make sure they win anyway)
- New York Knicks (roster is looking good, Point Guard depth needs a bit of work, but if Toney Douglas can pick up from Baron Davis / Mike Bibby should be sweet)
- Boston Celtics (last run, I’ll give them this one)
- Atlanta Hawks (roster is looking good, their play today was also quite impressive)
- Indiana Pacers (let’s see if David West can help them for a chance)
- Milwaukee Bucks (Andrew Bogut’s arm is feeling better than ever? And they’re starting to get their shots in?! [they were the lowest FG% last season], good chance)
- Charlotte Bobcats (the rebuilt roster seems strong, but really not too sure)
- Wildcard – Orlando Magic (If they can KEEP Dwight Howard, not likely though I reckon)
- [CLE]Kyrie Irving (I’m going to say this now because he’s the only rookie that doesn’t need to play behind a starter)
- [CHA]Kemba Walker
- [MIN]Derrick Williams
I’ll check in early-mid / mid season perhaps to see how I’m going with this and maybe see if I can throw some predictions for MVP / Defensive Player / 1st-2nd-3rd Teams etc.. we’ll see.
Until then, game time!!