What a day for the NBA today; Chicago losing to Washington (what the-?) and LeBron heating up in the 4th quarter (what the-?!)
So for those who remember / care, back when the season started last year I posted my early predictions for this NBA season. Maybe next time I’ll include trades, but they’re always so lucrative! So hard to guess! Seriously, who would’ve guessed that GSW would give up M. Ellis or Lakers finally trading Fisher?
Anyway so how did my predictions fair?
My Guesses last December:
Western Conference (shall red out the wrongs).
- LA Lakers (hard to see play-offs without them, might be low seed but)
- LA Clippers (hopping on the bandwagon, maybe 1st / 2nd round at best)
- Portland Trailblazers (despite losing Brandon Roy to retirement because of his health & still having no Greg Oden.. their roster is really looking like they have a lot of depth!) – they did some WEIRD trade overhauls that I reckon cost them a playoff birth. Rebuilding time – this time, don’t pass up a Michael Jordan, OK?
- Denver Nuggets (I was a bit worried about Denver because of having 3 of their main players stuck in China due to contracts, but they’ve convinced me otherwise so far)
- Oklahoma City Thunder (no doubters here surely, I reckon they could take it to AT LEAST the Western Conference Finals)
- Golden State Warriors (might need Stephen Curry to stay healthy, but they’re looking very strong especially with a new coach) – Stephen Curry’s glass ankles + trading away Monte Ellis + prospect big-man for an out-of-commission Andrew Bogut.
- Sacramento Kings (if the team stays consistent they can be deadly – hopefully Cousins has matured up a bit too) – now that I think about it, what was I thinking? Fredette turned out to be a sleeper and Cousins still a kid. At least the last pick, Isiah Thomas shows promise.
- San Antonio Spurs (hmm.. if age was no factor they wouldn’t be italic’d but I reckon they could still get there, hopefully Manu Ginobili won’t destroy his shooting arm again, plus they gotta be wanting more since getting knocked out by Memphis)
- Wildcard – Memphis Grizzlies (I’ll admit I don’t follow them too closely but they really came out of no-where to me in the play-offs last year WITHOUT Rudy Gay)
- San Antonio Spurs (they were my “unsure” – glad I didn’t rule them out!)
- Oklahoma City Thunder (tied 1st really, but head-to-head behind Spurs so yeah, “2nd”)
- LA Lakers
- LA Clippers (1 win behind Lakers)
- Memphis Grizzlies (my wildcard)
- Denver Nuggets (securing their playoff spot! Go Nuggets!)
- Dallas Mavericks (got this one wrong)
- Phoenix Suns (got this one wrong)
Eastern Conference (shall red out the wrongs).
- Chicago Bulls (bit of bias here :), but surely you can’t deny!)
- Miami Heat (they will be very hungry for it, if Erik Spolstra wants to have a coaching job next season he’ll need to make sure they win anyway)
- New York Knicks (roster is looking good, Point Guard depth needs a bit of work, but if Toney Douglas can pick up from Baron Davis / Mike Bibby should be sweet)
- Boston Celtics (last run, I’ll give them this one)
- Atlanta Hawks (roster is looking good, their play today was also quite impressive)
- Indiana Pacers (let’s see if David West can help them for a chance)
- Milwaukee Bucks (Andrew Bogut’s arm is feeling better than ever? And they’re starting to get their shots in?! [they were the lowest FG% last season], good chance) – Close.. but I rather New York / Philly so, maybe this can stay red 😛
- Charlotte Bobcats (the rebuilt roster seems strong, but really not too sure) – WTF was I thinking?! (note – Charlotte are DEAD last; 7Wins, 53Losses) – ref pic:
- Wildcard – Orlando Magic (If they can KEEP Dwight Howard, not likely though I reckon)
- Chicago Bulls (hopefully they keep it!)
- Miami Heat
- Indiana Pacers (surprised me!)
- Boston Celtics (well done)
- Atlanta Hawks (tied 4th, they’re going to have their next head-to-head class which should iron out the 4th/5th)
- Orlando Magic (they were 3rd for awhile.. wildcard only if they kept Howard, oh they did :P)
- New York Knicks (recently secured the 7th/8th spot – they should be OK if they don’t completely fall out and Milwaukee fires up)
- Philadelphia 76ers (definitely surprised me)
Really not too sure about this.. Are there only 4 categories (MVP, Defensive Player of the Year, 6th Man of the Year, and Most Improved)?
- MVP: Kevin Durant [OKC]
- Defensive Player of the Year: Serge Ibaka [OKC], wonder if Howard still has a chance..
- Sixth Man of the Year: Mm really not too sure.. Mo Williams [LAC]?? Maybe Lou Williams [PHI]
- Most Improved: I’m going to put.. Gordon Hayward [UTA]
I’ll leave it here, I was thinking about the “All-NBA”, “Defensive” and “Rookie” teams but.. it’s bulky and I need to look into a bit more. Hmm.