Alright so Phil asked me when I was going to write this up.. I was being lazy wasn’t planning to do it. But ironically I’m supposed to do my assignment now so I’ll procrastinate a bit (warm up my typing fingers – good reason) and type this up.
I probably won’t type as much as I did last year. 25 days till tip off, pre-season games have started and I just can’t wait. Perfect timing too since I’ll have more time!
Things we learnt from last season:
- Indiana is a great team
- Never rule out San Antonio
- No one wants to play for Dallas
- Milkwaukee has the worst looking stadium
- Golden State is a great young team too
- Brooklyn was built to beat the Heat – but couldn’t even get to them
- Freakin’ Miami.. (great playoffs/finals though – such great atmosphere during those lunches – thanks guys).
- Monta has it all
Things to expect from the upcoming season (at least for me):
- Rose has a big season (looked good in pre-season)
- Bulls have a GREAT season (if they all stay healthy :))
- Rockets have a good season (if chemistry builds and no more Dwightmares)
- East > West
- Return of Kobe, Westbrook, Rondo
And the 8 teams + 1 wildcard team breakdown:
- Houston Rockets – team looks good, plays looked crisp in the pre-season game.. few things to work out with regards to team plays and chemistry but if they keep this up, should be a great season for them.
- Golden State Warriors – carrying on the momentum from last year with the addition of one of my favourite players; Andre Iguodala (who I believe is one of the best defenders out there – also one of the most selfless). Watch out for those fast breaks 😉
- LA Clippers – Doc Rivers is town, Lob City has become Doc City – no more clowning around!
- Minnesota Timberwolves – I put these guys down every year.. and ever year they disappoint me, sigh.. but with a monster season from Nikola Pekovic and with Kevin Love possibly never doing knuckle push-ups again, perhaps we’ll see it, otherwise Kevin is leaving next year.
- San Antonio Spurs – Tony Parker had a massive season and I doubt they’ll go away quietly after losing in their first game 7 of the finals ever.
- Memphis Grizzlies – I’m not really a fan of watching this team plays but it’s been working for them and with management not making many major moves post-Rudy trade then I’d imagine they’ll still grit and grind their way into the playoffs.
- Oklahoma City Thunder – this one goes without saying.. Jeremy Lamb is looking to fill the void James Harden left them in 2012-2013 that *ahem* Kevin Martin failed to fill in for. He’s shown some massive games in the summer league so hopefully he’ll give some big numbers for OKC while Westbrook is out.
- LA Lakers – I’d imagine they’ll try their best.. I had a look over at the other teams in the conference and I think given the status of the other teams (Riggin’ for Wiggins’) – they might have a good chance.
- Wild Card: Portland Trailblazers – I put this team last year and they FAILED! They have the Rookie of the Year (2012-2013).. hopefully they’ll get in this time..
- Chicago Bulls – top of the list again 😉 and I’m going to go as far as saying they’ll get to AT LEAST the Eastern Conference Finals.
- Indiana Pacers – seeing how well their playoff run went last season and with little movement to their core, they’ll be OK to make it again – but their bench looks like it might need more depth.
- Miami Heat – blah blah blah
- Brooklyn Nets – seeing that their main objective is to get into the playoffs this season (and not just “Beat the Heat”) and how the owner beefed up the roster; chances look good. Depth might need another look, but if your starters blow out the score I suppose it’s OK, right?
- New York Knicks – with the season (especially the start) they had along with the season Carmelo Anthony had (!!) they’ll make it again no problems – it’s always problems in the playoffs for them anyway.
- Detroit Pistons – acquiring the high flying Josh Smith and the 39.4 FG%/35.4 3P% Brandon Jennings they’ll now have 3 big men running down the caught to catch his airballs – I mean alley-oop passes.
- Cleveland Cavaliers – well Kyrie Irving had a monster season and so did Dion Waiters.. they also managed to acquire Andrew Bynum for cheap (along with his bowling skills) so hopefully it’ll work out for them
- Washington Wizards (??) – well.. I don’t think they’re tanking this season, but that doesn’t mean they won’t suck.. I’m struggling here, I don’t know! Maybe?!
- Wild Card: every other team in the East who isn’t tanking – oh, oh, oh! Maybe the Toronto Raptors??
As for Individual Award guesses – 3 candidates each:
- Derrick Rose [CHI] 😛
- LeBron James [MIA]
- Kyrie Irving [CLE]
Defensive Player of the Year
- Larry Sanders [MIL]
- Serge Ibaka [OKC] -> DeAndre Jordan [LAC]
- Roy Hibbert [IND]
Sixth Man of the Year (oh man.. who is playing the 6th this year??)
- I might have to come back to this one..
Most Improved Player – once again, no idea, but here’s one that needs improvement 😛
- Brandon Knight (again!) [DET]
Rookie of the Year
- Trey Burke [UTA]
- Ben McLemore [SAC]
- Alex Len [PHX]
Coach of the Year
- Doc Rivers [LAC]
- Tom Thibodeau [CHI]
- Frank Vogel [IND]
OK! Time to do work! 25 DAYS TO GO!